SLSA Director Candidate Interview - Cierra Theriac

SurfWatch conducts these in-depth interviews to help members get a clear picture of the candidates that are running for the Board and gives candidates an opportunity to introduce themselves to the voters. All 3 candidates were sent the same interview, SurfWatch received all interviews back. See their interviews below. All interviews are posted in the order received. Stay tuned for more details!

Candidate Name: Cierra Theriac

SW: We understand you have announced your intent to run for SLSA Director this term. What qualifications, skills, competencies, traits, etc. would you bring as a director and why are you running?

CT: Experience... I have served as director several times before, as well as, being a founding director. I have a strong desire to make things right for the surfers, that we are having fun, and building a strong community. I have always tried to think of things from the surfers' points of view. Think about what we are doing and why, and how does it best benefit everyone.

SW: What areas of improvement do you currently see for the SLSA as an organization?

CT: As an organization, we need to grow our community a bit more, get more participation in events, as surfers and staff. There are a few specific areas I believe need to be cleaned up; the judging rules, communication with members and community building events.

SW: What do you see as the top issues facing SL surfing in general, and what would be your first priority as an SLSA director?

CT: That is a hard one... I see lots of people loving the beach and surfing. But we don't have as many "full" sims that can accommodate large numbers of group members. This makes it hard to get together as a community. We would all love to see more surfboards and more waves... but for those of us less talented, ahem, in the building and scripting... it is kinda beyond our control. Don't get me wrong, we have some great boards and waves available to us now. I just am greedy and always want more. We all want less drama, and more surfing!

SW: When you decided to run for Director, why did you feel you would be the best candidate for this job?

CT: I am in no way "the best" candidate for the job. But I like to work with people to create a fun environment. I work hard. I love SL Surfing, ok, any surfing :) I have history, so I have a sense of what works and what doesn't, but am always open to suggestions and ideas.

SW: What were you most satisfied with as an SLSA member last season? What were you most dissatisfied with?

CT: I love all of it. My surfing was pretty good. Being out in the line-up chatting with other surfers is one of my favorite things. Dissatisfied? Let me get back to you on that, lol.

SW: Anything else you would like voters to know about you?

CT: I am quiet/shy (usually)... but not a loner. I am open to talking to anyone about anything. I am totally approachable. If you have questions, issues, concerns, want to share a beer, hit me up :)

Give us a brief statement or opinion on some of the major issues the SLSA faced in 2017 and possible issues moving into this upcoming term (listed below):

1. Were you concerned with the low number of competitors signed up for the recent competitions? What are your thoughts on how to get more riders to participate in competitions?

I am not concerned per se, but it does make it difficult to staff. Small comps are still fun, but we still need the same amount of staff to hold them. I think we just need to get out there and show surfers how much fun the SLSA and competitions can be. The numbers will fluctuate. I have faith that we will pull more people into our crazy world.

2. While there are a substantial number of surfing sims in SL these days, there is still a continuing decline of surf sims with supporting neighbor full sims for spectators. Do you believe the current two sim requirement as being viable? If so, what can be done to support the sim owners and ensure smooth running competitions? If not, what do you envision as the alternative(s)?

I don't have answers to this one, but am open to suggestions!

3. Some people have expressed a feeling there is an overall decreasing interest in surfing in SL, or at least a decrease in the feeling of community within the SLSA. What are your thoughts about this, and if you agree, what ideas do you have for possible improvement?

I would love to have members get together for a surf or hang out and chill... just be together. I feel that is where we start building a bond in members.

Share:

No comments: